Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Playdate/Puking Disaster

I thought I would pull a total Betty and have some friends over (read mommies and toddlers) and get a little crafty for Valentine's Day.  My mom has a delicious and reasonably healthy cookie recipe that I make every year, so I thought it would be perfect.  I'd make the dough the night before, whip up the homemade icing and then the kids could decorate them tomorrow afternoon.

Here's what I was envisioning:

*photo by Jeff
 plus

photo: thetreatboutique.com

Here's what happened:

Last night, Amelia projectile vomited all over Jeff and the rocker. Is it bad that I cringed when I realized it had been taken down in the process? So I scratched making the dough and spent plenty of time cuddling with her until she was okay to go to sleep.

She didn't seem better today, so I made the call. The playdate was off.

And here's today's reality:


BUT, I do have my mom's recipe for the most delicious Valentine's Day cookies to pass along:

Valentine's Cut-Out Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
6 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 tablespoon baking powder
1\4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick or old fashioned oats
1\2 cup chopped walnuts

Beat butter and cream cheese together.  Add sugar and vanilla;  beat again.  Sift dry ingredients.  Add to creamed mixture.

Stir in oats and walnuts.  Chill several hours or overnight.

Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

Frosting:
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 teaspoons milk
1\2 teaspoon vanilla
pink and red food coloring

Roll out balls of dough in your hand, shape like a heart (indent top and elongate a point) or roll out and use a cookie cutter.  Frost when cool.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no. Hope the nugget feels better soon! (And thanks for the cookie recipe :)

    ReplyDelete